Tingling in Hands & Feet: Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment
In this writing Tingling in Hands Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment :
- Tingling Fingers Causes
- Overdosage of Vitamin B6
- Bad circulation
- Autoimmune disorders
- Nerve damage due to freezing
- Tingling Fingers Diagnosis
- Tests commonly used in the
diagnosisof tingling fingers include
- Neurological Examination
- MRI and CT Scanning
- Blood Tests
- Treatment of Tingling Fingers
- Topical Creams
- Physical Therapy
- Tingling Fingers Possible Complications
- How to Prevent Tingling Sensation?
- Taking care of simple aspects can reduce the incidence of tingling fingers.
Tingling fingers in hands or legs generally develop due to pressure for long hours on nerves or due to repeated motor activities. Due to this simple reason. The majority of the people just ignore it. But, it is very important to take care as it can be a symptom of underlying serious diseases such as diabetes.
Source by : wikimedia
Here is an overview of the causes, diagnosis and treatment for tingling sensation in fingers.
The Tingling Fingers Causes
Tingling in extremities is a sign for a number of medical conditions that need immediate attention.
Some of the causes include
- Resistance to the hormone insulin. Increased levels of glucose cause damage to the nerves and thus tingling fingers. : Hence, it is essential to treat diabetes immediately to prevent further damage to nerves.
- Overdosage of Vitamin B6Increased intake of vitamin B6 either in the form of supplements or directly through foods results in a sudden release of excess energy. This also can result in neuropathy and tingling fingers.
- Bad circulation Tingling fingers are also seen in people with poor blood circulation. Poor circulation sometimes results due to exerting weight on your arm while sleeping. This is not a serious condition and the hand will be back to normal in a short period.
- Autoimmune disordersAutoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis result in damage to the nerves. This results in symptoms such as muscle weakness, dizziness, and even paralysis.
- LeprosyThis is a bacterial disease that causes skin sores, tingling sensation in hands and legs.
- Nerve damage due to freezing If you remain in very low temperature for a long time it can result in nerve damage. The moment you start experiencing a tingling sensation in fingers it is essential to get warm immediately to prevent irreversible damage.
Tingling Fingers Diagnosis
Tests commonly used in diagnosis of tingling fingers include
- Neurological Examinationsensitivity of an arm is tested and to pinpoint, the specific nerve a minor surgery is performed.
- MRI and CT ScanningImaging studies are done to identify the presence of tumors, broken bones, herniated discs. Or narrowed spinal cord all of which can result in tingling fingers.
- Blood TestsBlood tests are done to identify the levels of glucose, vitamins B6, thyroxin, sex hormones. And also the levels of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Treatment of Tingling Fingers
The treatment for this disorder mainly aims at treating the underlying causes. If pain and swelling are observed in the affected region then drugs, s
- Topical CreamsIf tingling sensation is associated with a burning sensation, then ointments are used to treat the tingling sensation temporarily.
- Physical TherapyWhen tingling sensation is due to broken bones then physical therapy can help in alleviating the symptoms.
- RestSimple resting of the arm can treat the tingling feeling in case of severe injury to the arm or shoulders.
Tingling Fingers Possible Complications
It is highly essential to treat the condition without negligence to prevent complications such as paralysis, permanent loss of sensation and severe pain. In more severe cases such as leprosy amputation may have to be done to prevent the infection from spreading to rest of the body.
How to Prevent Tingling Sensation?
Taking care of simple aspects can reduce the incidence of tingling fingers.
- Use gloves in winter season.
- Avoid working continuously for long hours on computer.
- Get rid of habit of placing the hand under the head or pillow while sleeping.
Lastly, visit the physician immediately. If tingling fingers is associat with more severe symptoms. Such as slurred speech, mental confusion, and severe weakness. This could be a sign of stroke and neuropathy.